We all know about plastic. We see it everyday. It's so easily accessible and chances are, we use it without even knowing it. It's such a great invention because it's made to last forever! Then we saw the potential it can cause to our planet.
What are my top 5 eco-friendly alternatives to the top 5 worst single-use plastic?
1. Plastic Straws. In Australia, 2.47 billion plastic straws end up in landfill. They are readily available, lightweight and can blow into the waterways.
Eco-Friendly Alternatives: Bamboo, stainless steel and silicone straws.
2. Plastic Bags. Plastic bags are made from non-renewable natural resources such as crude oil, gas and coal. Thousands of marine mammals and seabirds die every year around the world as a result of plastic litter.
Eco-Friendly Alternatives: Reusable shopping bags, mesh vegetable bags and BYO packaging.
3. Single Use Sanitary Pads. Women contribute approximately 18 thousand metric tonnes of sanitary waste to landfill every year.The average woman uses around 12 000 pads and tampons in a lifetime.
Eco-Friendly Alternatives: Reusable cloth pads and menstrual cups.
4. Disposable Nappies. A staggering 3.75 million disposable nappies are used each day in Australia.This is a lot of landfill, with conventional disposable nappies estimated to take up to 150 years to break down.
Eco-Friendly Alternatives: Cloth nappies
5. Plastic toothbrushes. A billion toothbrushes will be thrown away this year and most of them will be plastic. Think about it, ever since plastic toothbrush was invented in the 1930's, every single plastic toothbrush is still wasting away somewhere in landfill.
Eco-Friendly Alternatives: Bamboo brushes and reusable handles.
Which of these products are you already using? Don't forget to check out our Zero Waste Collections to reduce your waste towards landfill!